OMD FWD w/c 11th June
Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD.
Things are heating up this week – and not only on our thermostats – as the FIFA World Cup kicks off. Victory, defeat and stellar performances are sure to be the chat of the office (if you can pull yourself away from Love Island) – so get yourself acquainted early with The 13 Greatest World Cup Goals ever scored.
Following a deal with the Premier League, Amazon is getting serious about streaming live sports. It’s an opportunity to broadcast major events like the Premier League or the U.S. Open tennis championships that ‘will help Amazon prove to rights holders that it has the reach and the monetization credentials to contend with traditional broadcasters’. Also jumping on the bandwagon is Beats by Dr. Dre who have enlisted Guy Ritchie to direct a ‘mix-tape’ of athletes’ journeys. Your last bit of football fever could well come from the Adidas World Cup ad which is brimming to the roof with famous creators. Let the games begin.
- Amazon gets serious about live sports streaming with Premier League package purchase
- Microsoft acquires GitHub (and its 28m active coders) for $7.5 billion
- BuzzFeed restructures its advertising unit to better fit future growth potential
- iOS 12 is upon us, so here’s the best new updates you can expect for your i-devices
- 45.5% of the UK population now listen to online audio, an 11.2% rise from 2017
- Here’s 5 key skills for every modern marketer
- Beats by Dre bring in Guy Ritchie to direct their new “mix-tape” World Cup ad, and it is very Guy Ritchie
- Facebook is finally bringing back music to social media profiles (MySpace fans rejoice!)
- Adidas and Nike have teamed up with Bitmoji to let fans wear World Cup kits virtually
- Why are Microsoft putting data centres at the bottom of the ocean?
- Lush vs Spycops: Should ‘brand purpose’ be used as a platform for engaging consumers? (Oasis doesn’t think so!)
- Should tech companies such as Amazon be more responsible for who they sell their products to?
As always, please share anything you find interesting using #OMDFWD