OMD FWD w/c Jan 3rd
Technology is affecting in dramatic fashion how we live, work, eat, socialise and play. 2016 saw the rise and rise of virtual reality, with virtual assistants moving out of our phones and into our homes and smart home technologies finally breaking into the mainstream. Undoubtedly 2017 will see a plethora of new technological breakthroughs and the Digital Trends piece below details five of the most revolutionary – including the Internet of Things based on interoperability, artificial intelligence, the rise of synthetic food, augmented reality and 3D printing for all. Will Christmas 2017 see us eating man-made turkey and asking our artificial assistants to wrap the latest 3D printer to go under the tree?
- Facebook launches Live Audio to help publishers tell stories with words instead of video
- Twitter launches 360-degree video live streaming
- CES – the world’s largest tech expo – launches this Thursday, so here’s what to expect (a CES wrap-up will follow next week)
- Adding 100 million in the last 6 months alone, Instagram ended 2016 by hitting the 600 million user mark
- Ad tech funding decreased by 17% in 2016 due to the dominance of Google and Facebook
- Boxing Day footfall saw a 7% decline due to Brexit fears and users opting to shop online
- Amazon files patent for ‘flying warehouses’
- Watch Honda’s VR sleigh ride experience that took hospitalised children out into a winter wonderland
- Ensure you achieve your New Year resolutions by using these helpful apps
- Music streaming is heralded as the industry’s saviour as record labels see biggest revenue growth for a decade
- One app to rule them all: how China’s WeChat app became the country’s most valuable company
- 5 key tech trends that will change your life in 2017
As ever, please read, learn and share away, #OMDFWD. Happy new year to all!